Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2019

Weekend Wrap Up

We.Are.Exhausted. It's a toss up as to who is the most exhausted. Darrin started preseason last week, which means long days and nights. 


He told his dad the other day that he didn't even know what day it is and I believe it. He leaves while we are still in bed and gets home after we are asleep. 


He is very excited about this year and has been for a long time. 


This group is special and I have a feeling they are going to do great things this year and in the years to come.


Granny & Pa are probably tired b/c they babysat Carson from last Thursday until today. And, he was getting over a sore throat, which means weird sleeping patterns and a little grumpiness. They said he was really good for them, but no matter how good he is, it's still a tiring job to take care of him. 


I drove over 600 miles for work last week, had multiple meetings in different cities, worked extended hours, and had some not so fun moments. So, when I went to bed on Friday night, I was hopeful that I would wake up feeling rested and ready to go. Instead, I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. I got myself together, drank some caffeine, and Miles and I drove to Tupelo, MS for a baseball tournament. 


This was their first fall tournament after taking a month and a half off. 


Miles played his usual array of positions including third, short, pitcher, catcher, and second base for the first time. I asked him how he liked second and he said, "I had no idea what I was doing." :) Thankfully nothing came to him.


The heat index was a 105. It might have been one of the hottest days we've every played in over the last four years. They played on turf infields, which are really, really hot.


They had to play back to back games on Saturday. Towards the end of the second game, Miles got put in to pitch. He only pitched to a couple batters and then they pulled him out. I didn't think he was doing that poorly, but then I realized that they were concerned about how hot he was. He told me later that he couldn't do anything else and he felt like he was going to fall over. 


One of his coaches put him in a chair behind the dug out, in the shade, with a frog tog and some water. I walked over to give him some Motrin and I was a little alarmed. His face was beat red and he looked glassy. Someone suggested that I pour water over his head, so against his wishes, I did. At that point, I figured he was okay. It was a little concerning for a few minutes. We will do a better job of hydrating in the days leading up to the tournament this coming weekend. 


I was very thankful to his coaches for taking good care of him. They said that he never had a break from playing on the turf b/c he played infield all day, plus he had all the catcher's gear on for a couple of innings, so that's why he was so hot. 


They won one and lost one on Saturday and then it was time for pizza and swimming at the hotel. This is the real reason they play baseball. Miles is quite proud of his biceps.


He was grounded from electronics all weekend, so he spent some time reading in the hotel. When we were leaving the pool, he was telling everyone that he was going to read his book. I wish he realized how much he enjoys that and willingly choose it over electronics. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen for a long time.


We went back today for day 2. They came up short and were eliminated after the first game after leading for the first four innings. It was a tough loss. We were much smarter about the heat and they all did okay today.


Miles struggled at the plate this weekend, but managed to get on base today. Every little bit of confidence helps and he was very happy!


He made some solid plays on defense.


Such good teammates. They were congratulating and consoling their friend after getting pulled from pitching. He did a fantastic job and they were proud of him.


I'm not sure what is going on here, but Miles and Will are such sweet friends. Miles made an origami ninja star in the car on the way to Tupelo. He was so proud of it. He told me that he was going to show all his friends. He said they probably won't think it's cool, but I do. Then, he said, "Well, Will will probably think it is cool b/c we are a lot alike." Turns out, everyone loved his ninja star and that made his day.


Darrin's parents were kind enough to bring Carson home, so they were here when Miles and I got home. Darrin is still working. So, I don't really know who is the most exhausted, but I am about to fall over as I type this. I'd love to think that I'm going feel better after a good night's rest, but I think I know better than that. Ready or not, Monday is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment