Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Happy Birthday, Miles!

1-0! Double digits deserves a big celebration. We planned a big day and I'm proud to say that everything went exactly as planned. 

The morning started with donuts. Darrin was super creative at 5:45am and ordered a long John and a donut so it looked like '10'.


Then it was off to school. He's carrying a Case It binder (think Trapper Keeper) instead of a backpack this year. I predict that it won't last long, but for now, he thinks it's really cool.


We went to eat lunch with him and surprised him by bringing Panda Express. He said that us eating lunch with him was the best part of his day. When I told him we were coming to eat with him, his level of excitement was similar to when we told him he was going to be a big brother. I kid you not.


He celebrated at school by buying ice cream for his classmates. $6.75 for the entire class is the cheapest party ever. 


After school and work, it was time for gifts. He didn't ask for anything, but through conversation I picked up that he would like ear pods and an electric scooter. He also got the next book in the series he's reading. My mom bought him a John Grisham book for kids and he really liked it, so we got him the next book. It's a step up in terms of challenge, so I'm so glad she bought it and that he likes it. He's always been intimidated by longer books so I told him that I would pay him $25 if he read it. I just wanted him to realize that he was capable of reading those kinds of books and also that it would open up so many other books to him. It took him all summer b/c he didn't have much time to read and he tends to be outside more during that time. He finally finished it last month and I gave him his money the next day. Side note, I have no idea why Carson is laying on the counter. 


Miles was very appreciative of his gifts. This was even before we gave him the scooter. 


This is how Carson felt about not getting any gifts. Miles did let him help pull the paper off and that helped a little.


He said the scooter was the best gift he's ever gotten. We happened to have this little scooter and helmet for Carson. It didn't take him long to realize that Miles' scooter was much different than his (because it's electric).


Miles has been into Oreos lately so I made him a dirt cake instead of a regular cake or cupcakes, which is what we usually have. I think random desserts might be a new thing for birthdays. It was much better than cupcakes.


One of my new favorite pics of the boys.


After dessert, Darrin had volleyball practice and Miles had baseball practice. His team sang happy birthday to him too.


I surprised him by bringing Sonic slushies for his team, orange and blue of course. We included the siblings b/c they are troopers and they are definitely part of the Hornet family. I had to get a babysitter to watch Carson while I went to get the slushies and deliver them to practice. Thankfully, I was able to get him to sleep (thanks to Melatonin) before I left the house a little after 8pm, so he never knew the difference.


We ended the night by playing a new game that Uncle Steve and Aunt Crystal got him for his birthday called Shut the Box. He got to stay up late and soak up every last minute of his special day.


The day was very busy and full of sugar, but it went off without a hitch. I feel certain that he went to bed feeling very loved and celebrated. I think sometimes Darrin and I take him for granted b/c he's all we have known, but he is very special. I know everyone feels that way about their kids, as they should, but he really is. He is smart, responsible, conscientious, and caring. Living with him is like having three adults in the house. The years sure do go by fast, but every year with him gets better and better. Happy birthday, Miles. We love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment