Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Tomorrow is the Day & Fall Break

Miles had fall break yesterday and today. I had planned to go back to work yesterday, since Monday was a holiday, but decided to prolong it one more day and hang out with Miles. I decided to take Carson to daycare for a few hours on Monday to try to ease into it. With Miles, I just took him for a full day on my first day back and it was pretty traumatic and overwhelming. We gave Carson a bath, put on some yummy baby lotion, and dressed him in one of his cutest sleepers. We have to make sure everyone loves him and wants to hold him a lot :)


This is his teacher Mrs. Kristen. I am very excited about her. She is a great communicator and seems to be a perfect mix of structure and go with the flow. I took this picture and the ones of his daycare below two weeks ago at orientation, but never got around to blogging about them.


This is his room. The blue mat in the middle of the room is fill with water for tummy time.


Soon his picture and footprints will be added to the wall with his friends. So far, there are all boys in his room. A girl is starting in a couple weeks. The daycare is in a Christian school that goes all the way from 2 years to 12th grade. This is the first year that they have accepted infants, so kids are still joining in.


The hallways for the younger kids are all designed with a theme...the ice cream shop, the grocery store, and Carson's room is the Pet Shop. There are others but I can't think of them. I need to take a picture of the hallways b/c they are very impressive.


Carson's crib is the second from the left along this wall. I told her I was nervous b/c he cannot stand to be on his back. We wedge him on his side to sleep at night. He doesn't even like to be held on his back. They have to lay babies on their backs in their cribs. Also, they can't swaddle, so we've been working hard to break him of that during the day. No more swaddling during the day...check. Sleeping on his back...not so much.



So on Monday, Miles and I dropped Carson off with Mrs. Kristen for a half of a day. I really didn't want to leave him, but I knew he would be well taken care of. I wasn't sure how he would do, but I knew that they would do everything in their power to see that he had a good day. Miles, on the other hand, was not so sure. As soon as we walked away, he started tearing up and his lip was quivering. I just put my arm around him and fought back my own tears as not to make it any worse. When we got to the car, he lost it. He kept saying, "Why do we have to leave him?" I asked if he missed him or if he was worried about him. He said, "Both." It was so sad to see his little heart break, but it was also incredible to see how much he loves Carson.


After finally calming Miles down, we did a little shopping. First up, Dick's, where we ended up putting and only buying Big League Chew.


Next, he tried on some clothes and had a dance party in the dressing room.


He also had a gift card from our good friend, Ms. Mitsie, that he spent at Toys R Us. He was so excited about it. He came home, read the directions, and put it together all by himself. It's already provided hours of entertainment.


After our running around, we went bowling. I decided to try to do something fun for his fall break. Something as little as bowling equals a beach trip in his mind. 


When I told him the night before that the two of us were going bowling, he was ecstatic.


Darrin decided to take a quick break from work and join us, which made Miles and I very happy.

 

It was fun to spend time with Miles while Carson was at daycare. I think Miles needed it, and I really enjoyed it too. I think we will always try to have some one on one time with both kids. 

 

We ran into one of my college friends while we were there. He and Miles played some arcade games together after bowling.


I received two texts from Mrs. Kristen during our day. They set up a rock and play just for him after I told her at orientation that he really liked ours. I thought that was the sweetest thing. He seemed to like theirs too!

 

I was really happy to get the second picture of him asleep in his crib. I really tried hard to work with him so that he wouldn't be too difficult for them. What a relief to see that he had a great first day.

 

We picked Carson up and went home. Everyone, including me, was worn out.


Today, Miles and I had appointments at the eye doctor. Miles was disappointed with his 20/20 vision b/c he wanted glasses. On the contrary, I was very happy that my vision had not changed :)


Then, we took Carson to get a few immunizations. We spread our shots out so he doesn't have to get so many at one time, which means we have to go more often. Even though it wasn't an office visit, she weighed him for me. He weighed just over 12lbs! For reference, I looked up to see how much Miles weighed at 3 months. He weighed 15lbs. I can see such a difference in Carson since we switched him to soy formula and got his stomach straightened out. He's eating on schedule and finishing bottles. I don't love that he's on soy formula, but I do love that I can absolutely tell how much better he feels.  


I've savored the snuggles a little more today. I am terribly sad about leaving Carson tomorrow. I'm also sad about not picking Miles up in car line and getting to do stuff with him in the afternoon. It's bittersweet, b/c I do love my job and my co-workers. I enjoy working. I love having a routine and spending time with adults every day! With that said, my stomach is in knots tonight. I remember Miles' first day of daycare vividly and I have often referred to that day as one of the worst days of my life. I also remember that I was fine the very next day, but somehow that memory just isn't helping tonight. I think the biggest thing is the anticipation about how I am going to feel with I drop him off. I expect a big ugly cry and then some fun times at work. 


Carson will be 3 months tomorrow. I stayed home for 9 weeks with Miles. The day he started daycare, he was ready. He began sleeping through the night the weekend before and was in a great routine. I have been worried about Carson b/c he's been so much different than Miles and much harder to establish any sort of routine with. I attribute most of that to being a preemie, but it might also just be that he's different. I'm so glad that I've been able to stay home for 13 weeks with Carson. Since he was in the NICU for 3 weeks, I've actually had about the same amount of time with him as I did with Miles. I think Carson is ready now. His routine is established. He's much less of a cat napper and he's sleeping better at night. He still gets up once during the night, but he goes back to sleep without a fight. Miles has my heart b/c he's our first born. Carson has my heart b/c he's the baby. He is absolutely precious and I know those daycare teachers are going to love him to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment