Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up & Taco Soup

Our weekend kicked off with a date night.  My mom is in town, so she agreed to watch Miles while we went out to eat and to a movie.  Movies are not my thing unless it's a chick flick, but they are very much Darrin's thing. So, we went to see Creed for his sake. I have to say it was very good.  The theater on the other hand was sketchy and the popcorn was less than stellar. We will be going to the little local theater by our house from now on. It's closer, cheaper, and their popcorn is awesome.  I did make a fantastic decision to wear leggings and a poncho on our date, so I basically felt like I was wrapped up in a blanket at the movies. 


On Saturday, my mom, Miles, and I went to family day at Painting with a Twist. I had to give them a pep talk on the way there b/c they are both perfectionists.


The girl reminded us before we started that it was "fun" art, not "fine" art.  Miles did a really good job. To my surprise, he didn't get flustered when his painting was perfect.  


I was most surprised by his ability to stay focused for a solid hour and a half. Even I was getting a little antsy towards the end.


It was a fun experience.  I've been wanting to do it forever, so I'm glad to say that I have.  If any local friends want to go back with me, I'm in.


Saturday afternoon, Miles and I met up with Gaige and his mom, Leslie, to watch the Medina Christmas parade.  


It was your typical small town parade with lots of firetrucks and police cars.  We were at the very end of the parade and everyone was out of candy by the time they go to us.  Miles had more fun running up and down the grassy hill by where we were standing than he had actually watching the parade.  


To finish off our very busy Saturday, my mom and I went to the Christmas musical at our church.  The music was amazing and the whole production was very well done.  It was really more like a concert or show that you would pay money to see.


Darrin managed to get out of all the Saturday activities.  He watched an obscene amount of college football.  During volleyball season, he doesn't get to watch much, so I guess he was making up for lost time.

We drove two cars to church this morning so Miles & Marmee could go Christmas shopping afterwards while Darrin and I did a little grocery shopping.  My mom was attempting to start a tradition with Miles where he picked out some presents for us.  She gave him a little money to get started and then he saved a few dollars too.  She said he seemed a little more interested in shopping for himself.  Not surprising for a 6 year old.  Hopefully he will have a deeper understanding of the concept each year.

Miles is currently working on some Legos, while Dad (see behind Miles) & Marmee nap, and I get a few things done around the house. It's pretty much the perfect afternoon.


Now, the laundry is done, lunches are made, clothes are laid out, bills are paid, and dinner is in the crock pot.  Speaking of dinner, I have a new Taco Soup recipe to share.  I found it on the Hungry Runner Girl blog.  It's so easy & tasty.

Taco Soup
1 lb hamburger meat, browned
1 large onion, chopped (or frozen chopped onions if you're lazy like me)
28 oz. diced tomatoes
15 oz. tomato sauce
1 can of corn, undrained
1 can of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 Hidden Valley Ranch packet
1 packet of Taco seasoning (2 Tbsp if you make your own)

Combine ingredients in a crock pot. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4-6 hours.  Serve with Fritos and sour cream.  

Super easy, especially if you cook your hamburger meat in the microwave like I do.  If you don't brown hamburger meat or sausage in the microwave, do yourself a huge favor and order a Pampered Chef Micro Cooker and a Mix & Chop now.  All you do is put the meat in the cooker, chop it a little with the Mix & Chop, and cook for 4-6 minutes.  Leaner meat will cook faster.  I always stop half way through, drain the grease, and chop the meat b/c it's easier than waiting until it thoroughly cooked.  It's the best way to cook meat for chili, spaghetti, lasagna, etc, and sausage for casseroles.  Please let me know if you try this!  It's life changing :)  Have a great week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment