Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up

The highlight of our weekend was celebrating Miles' birthday with family.  His birthday is actually this Friday, but we celebrated last Friday night due to some other conflicts. This is the first year that we didn't have a big birthday party. With all the busyness & house stress that we've had lately, we chose to eat at a local pizza place and have cake & ice cream at our house afterwards.




 


After pizza, we headed home for presents. He was more than ready to tear into them.






He got some awesome presents from his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. They really spoiled him with Legos, Build A Bear, soccer goals, a fishing pole, and a tackle box, just to name a few things. He was one happy little boy.  Then, it was time to give him our present.  We keep him in suspense about it all week. He counted down the days until Friday b/c he knew that was when he got his present.

We set up a little scavenger hunt that lead to his present.  Here he is with his first clue...






After searching for clues all around outside, the last clue lead him to a little shed behind our shop. 




It's hard to see his face, but it was a look of surprise and joy. That moment made mine & Darrin's hearts very happy.


I'm not sure who was more excited, Miles or Darrin.


If you know me, you know that I have always been anti 4 wheeler. A boy died when we were in high school b/c he hit a bump and landed on his head. I've been scared of them ever since. 


When we moved to this property, I knew I would have to get over my fear and let he and Darrin have their fun. What was the point of having land if you don't have the toys to enjoy it??  Plus, I know accidents can happen anywhere, so we just need to teach him how to be safe.


Is this not the cutest thing you've ever seen?  Darrin picked it out and found a matching helmet. He did a great job. 


Darrin's dad drove to Indiana last week to pick it up for us.  When Darrin told Miles that, it meant so much to him that Pa would drive that far for him.


Then, it was time for some Skylander cake and ice cream...


On Saturday, a mere 12 hours after getting the 4 wheeler, he had his first accident.  I was sitting on the porch watching him ride. He drove around the side of the house. I heard it stop abruptly and then I heard some moaning. I raced around the house to see him bent over holding his side with dew and grass on his clothes. I never figured out exactly what happened, but I think he either stopped or turned too quickly and it threw him off.


He didn't cry, b/c he's figured me out and knew that making a big deal out of it might send me into a panic and cause the 4 wheeler to disappear.  It was not a fun experience for either of us, but it was probably the best thing that could have happened to him. He's ridden it twice since then and he's been very cautious.  I'm thankful he's okay and that he learned a valuable lesson in the process.  Happy early Birthday, Miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment