Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Almost Ready

I've decided that registering your child for school in a new place is a full time job. I have taken time off work, made numerous phone calls, completed online forms, and sent faxes and emails, just to get Miles registered.  This doesn't include the physical and tracking down the shot record on the "correct" form. Kindergarten is no joke.

We went for Miles' physical a couple weeks ago. Even though he appears to be all smiles, he was terrified that he would have to get a shot.


We had an appointment with one of our friends from church. I had repeatedly promised Miles that he would not be getting any shots, and that Mr. Tyler only had to look at him. After texting with a friend about her son's physical, I was worried there might be a finger prick involved. I text Tyler and asked about a finger prick or anything of the such....his response was "nope. we will have a pain free good time". 


We discovered something during the appointment. Our boy has gotten T-A-L-L! He is 48.5" tall, which is the 92nd percentile.  I had no idea b/c he is not taller than his friends.  He has hit a growth spurt recently so maybe this just happened.  He weighed 46.5 lbs, which is the 62nd percentile.  The rest of the appointment went well and I was very glad to have that marked off the kindergarten checklist.

Another part of getting ready for daycare is saying goodbye to daycare.  We made treats for Miles to take to his daycare friends as a goodbye gesture.  Chocolate pudding, crushed oreos, and gummy worms. It was a throw back to his 4th birthday treats


We also took donuts to the teachers to say thank you.  Miles has been at the same daycare since he was 9 weeks old. The thought of walking out tomorrow for the last time is unbelievably sad. We have fantastic memories and have made some great friends, in both the teachers and parents.  Hands down, this is the hardest milestone I've dealt with as a parent. I am so excited for him to start kindergarten, but leaving daycare is closing a big, important chapter in Miles' life.  When I dropped him off almost 6 years ago, I couldn't even get a word out b/c I was crying so hard. Our last day tomorrow has the potential to be eerily similar.  I already told Darrin to prepare himself for the first day of school. I have a lump in my throat as I'm typing. I am not typically an emotional person, but this school thing has me rattled.

We attended open house tonight and met Miles teacher. Miles was overcome with nervousness when we walked in. He almost looked frozen in his seat. He couldn't even look at the teacher.  He calmed down quickly and seemed to soak everything in.  The teacher went over a lot of overwhelming information about folders, money, car rider line (which included an aerial view of the school...I felt like I needed a degree in logistics), the after school program, ice cream money, behavior charts, and on and on.  Again, Kindergarten is no joke. 


Miles is excited. He said that he wishes tomorrow was Monday (a come & go day) and Tuesday (full day for the boys). We have some school shopping to do this weekend and then he will be completely ready for school.  Bring it, our boy is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment