Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Weekend Wrap Up & a Recipe

Miles & I stuck to our plan of hibernating this weekend.  He ran fever off and on all weekend, so we really didn't have a choice.  Saturday, I did some work in the kitchen while Miles played on the computer.  I also did 9,000 loads of laundry b/c I washed the sheets on all three beds and washed some random throw blankets. Since we were home bound, it was a good day to get stuff like that done.

Miles also wanted his back & feet rubbed.  There's nothing in this world I love more than to have my back rubbed, so how could I say no??  Doesn't he look pitiful? Pending the blizzard we are due to receive, we will be making a trip to the doctor tomorrow.


Darrin has been in Chicago all weekend. Since my Valentine was out of town and my little Valentine passed out early, I spent my night watching two movies on Netflix by the fire. Not too shabby. I watched "The Right Kind of Wrong"...don't waste your time, and William & Kate....super cute.


Today, we ventured out to Walmart, with the rest of Martin, to get some groceries in case we really do get the 8-10 inches they are predicting.  Also, Miles had a few dollars from Valentine's Day burning a hole in his Duct tape Spiderman wallet...


I vetoed a Nerf gun b/c he has 10+, so he went with another Bionicle Lego...


I experimented with several new recipes this weekend.  When you are trying to eat clean(er), trying new recipes is a must. Unfortunately, it usually takes at least five recipes to find a keeper.  It can be expensive and frustrating.  Nonetheless, it's still a necessary evil.  I'm lucky in that my family will typically choke things down in an effort not to waste.

I tried some cheese sticks make out of cauliflower.  I've tried cauliflower mashed potatoes and they were not good at all.  I see all these things that people make with cauliflower and decided I needed to give it another try.  As I was steaming the cauliflower in the microwave, Miles said, "it smells disgusting in here."  Not a good start. In my head I was thinking, "I'm done with you, cauliflower."  But then, the cheese sticks were actually good.  Miles did not like them at all, but I thought they were totally doable.  I saved two for Darrin.  We'll see what he has to say about them.


I also tried some coconut truffles. Not even worth the time to talk about them. No, no, no.


Miles took a few pictures while I was making said coconut truffles.  He told me to say cheese and pose.  After he looked at the picture he said, "I like it.  I'm keeping it."  Thanks for the vote of confidence, Miles.


Cooking & food prep creates endless amounts of dishes. I feel like all we do around here is load & unload the dishwasher and wash dishes.  I have to say, Darrin takes care of most of this, so when he's out of town, it's a major pain for me.


Since this Weekend Wrap Up is pretty lame, I will leave you with a keeper recipe. 
 

Crock Pot Roasted Chicken

Cut a medium yellow onion into chunks and place in the bottom of a crock pot. 
Layer with 3-4 large chicken breasts.  Mix together: 
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1.5 tsp paprika
1.5 tsp onion powder
1.5 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp sea salt
Sprinkle generously on the chicken. Flip the chicken and coat the other side. You may not use all the seasoning mixture depending on how many chicken breasts you use. Do put it on liberally though.
Cook on high for 2.5 hours. Tear into chucks & stir around in the juice before serving.

 Darrin is 20 minutes away. I'm going to make a fire and get ready to hang out for the rest of the night, watching TV & waiting for the snow.  Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment