Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Our Parental Obligation

Today, Darrin & I fulfilled our parental obligation to provide a snow  day experience for our child.  You can't scroll through Facebook without feeling like a total slacker parent for not putting on a thousand layers and freezing for a couple hours for your kid. Darrin could totally live with the guilt, but I cannot.  So, I text a few friends to see if they were up for some sledding with the promise of Mexican afterwards.  Some were down with sledding and others down with just Mexican.  Sounds good to me...do what you can friends.  

We found a hill next to Darrin's office.  We tried to buy a sled today to no avail.  After a quick Google search for alternative sled options...plastic cookie trays it is!


They were a little tricky, but not bad after you got the hang of it.  


Some orange football blocking pads (???) was where it was at.  Cushiony & fast is a perfect sledding combination. So fun!  Jordan liked giving everyone a slight push just a little too much...


 ...which occasionally ended in a wipeout...




I was onto his little game...


I look like a pretzel...


The walk back up the hill, or mountain as the kids called it, was a serious work out.  
 




 



Too bad Miles didn't have fun...



Towards the end of our sledding fun, we decided to try the hills in the back of this picture. We started on the very top and went all the way to the bottom. It doesn't look like much in the picture, but the second hill was very steep.  I was so much fun.


I feel certain that the adults had more fun than the kids.  I know I did...


Darrin wasn't complaining either...


After 2 hours of sledding, it was time for some Mexican food.  When we go out with this group of friends, the girls usually sit at one table and the guys sit at another.  If we are driving anywhere, we also have separate cars. 


It totally works and assures that a random girl or guy isn't stuck at the end of the table with no one to talk to.  Baby Bane came to hang out with us at dinner...


The guys had a peaceful dinner with easy conversation...


Meanwhile, the women got stuck with the kids. We will even that trade out next time, I assure you.


Our necessary obligation turned out to be a whole lot of fun.  I didn't really doubt that it would, but it exceeded my expectations. Fun afternoon with Miles & our friends.  Now that we have Sledding 2015 in the memory books, I don't care if it snows again.  Unfortunately, warm summer nights on deck  will have to wait a little longer.  We are projected to get 1-2 more inches tonight and the low is -2. Stay warm, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment