Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January 5, 2009

A year ago yesterday, I woke up at 5am and went to the gym. I decided that I was going to start working out before work as part of my New Years resolutions. It was a Monday morning....that's when all diet/work out plans start....on Mondays, right? Anyway, I woke up and went to the gym. I worked out for about 30 minutes and decided I wasn't into it. Everything I tried to do seemed hard....I was tired.

Back up a year and a half.....July 2007. Darrin and I were driving home from my cousin's wedding in Bowling Green, KY and I asked Darrin if I needed to get my prescription for birth control refilled. I had been ready to have kids for a while but Darrin wasn't there yet. Every month I would tell him it was time for me to refill my prescription and then ask "Do I have to?" He would always say yes. I would usually follow that up with a quick, not too pressuring, comment about how we weren't getting any younger, and then move on. But, on this night he said no. I couldn't believe it!!! We were actually going to have a baby. The rest of the ride home we talked about baby names and random other baby topics. I was ecstatic, and I think Darrin was secretly pretty excited too.

When you decide to start trying to have a baby, I'm not sure anyone anticipates problems. You always just think it will happen. Over the next year and half I took tons of negative pregnancy tests. Any time I felt the slightest bit tired, or was one day late, I took a test. I know a year and a half isn't that long, and doesn't even signify problems, but when you decide to have a baby, even a couple months seems like forever.

In December of 2008, I finally decided to go to the doctor to see what the next steps were. I went for my visit and she explained some tests and even some fertility procedures that we could look into. I made a follow up visit for early January. At this point, I had given up on getting pregnant without help. Even though I was frustrated, I was encouraged that we had a new plan. I decided not to think about it at all until I went back for the next visit in January.

Now, back to Monday, January 5, 2009....I was leaving the gym and decided to go to Walmart to get a pregnancy test. I was 5 days late but had not taken a test b/c I did not want to see one more negative test. I walked into Walmart around 5:45am and bought the cheapest pregnancy test they had. Drove home to take the test. Darrin was still in bed and the house was quiet. I never told him what I was doing b/c I didn't want to get his hopes up at all.

So I took the test and waited. After only a few seconds it showed positive. What? Positive? Really? Surely not. Looked at it again. Got the box out of the trash to examine what a positive should look like verses a negative. I think it's really positive. OMG!!! So I ran to our bedroom and jumped on top of Darrin. Guess what? I'm pregnant! We were so thrilled. It was amazing. Just like everyone says...when you give up, it happens.

I had to get ready for work and then go and act like it was just a normal day even though nothing was normal. Then, I got nervous. What if I read the test wrong? Off Darrin went to Walmart with instructions to buy a digital test. I didn't want there to be any question.


That day lead to one of the happiest days of our lives...









1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post. I remember desperately wanting to be pregnant the second time and it just not happening. The day I went in to my first appt to figure out what was wrong, they were shocked to see that my blood test came back positive!

    ReplyDelete