Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's a Boy!!!

Miles Cooper McClure arrived at 1:32 am on Friday, August 21st. He is unbelievably perfect! We are overwhelmed with love for him.






When someone I know has a baby, I'm always curious how everything went with the labor process. Was it quick, were there issues, did she have to have a c-section, etc.... So, for those curious like me, here's the long, long story....short.

I went to the doctor for my weekly visit on Wednesday. He noticed signs of preeclampsia, so he sent me to the hospital for monitoring and then home with plans to return the next morning for follow up monitoring. On Thursday morning, he decided it was time to induce due to the progression of the preeclampsia. We started induction at 9:30am. It appeared from my contractions that things were going to progress quickly. Wrong. I stayed at 2 cm for approx. 12 hours, despite strong, painful contractions. My doctor was nice enough to let me have an epidural early in the day. Around 9pm, he started talking about a c-section, which at this point I was fine with. He said that something was going on with my body to keep me from dilating. Then out of nowhere....3 1/2...4...5....6....8....at which point they set up the room b/c they thought the baby was going to come very quickly. I was completely numb, so they turned off my epidural so I would be able to feel "just enough" to push. I started "practice" pushing around 9 cm and then finally got to 10 cm and started pushing......for over an hour....epidural was gone and I was dying with every contraction. The doctor finally said it was time for a c-section b/c the baby's head was too big for my pelvis. All I wanted to know at this point was how long was it going to take to get to surgery. Seriously, that was my only question for the doctor. He explained that there was a surgery going on and it would probably take 15 minutes to get us in there. Wrong answer. 15 minutes seemed like 2 years. Did I mention that the baby was face up, which makes the contractions come 2 in a row? Again, dying. Screaming. Miserable. Darrin said at one point I screamed to "GET IT OUT OF ME". 15 minutes turned into an hour and oh yeah my epidural wasn't making me numb enough for the c-section, so they gave me something else which took me completely out of the game. When they started the c-section I thought they had forgotten to get Darrin. I had to take my contacts out too, so I couldn't see anything. Darrin leaned down to talked to me and I realized he was in there. Then, after 16 hours of labor, I heard "we have the head out"...."Dad, you call it"....the doctor pulled the baby out, and Darrin said "It's a BOY!!!". I erupted in tears.

Oh, the long story, short is....he's worth every second of it.

I can't finish the post without props to my husband. He was everything I needed during the entire labor process. And, no surprise to me, he was unbelievable during our stay in the hospital. He took care of everything Miles and I needed. I love you babe!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, now I've erupted in tears! He is BEAUTIFUL and PERFECT!! This has been an incredible journey for us all, ending with such a Perfect Blessing! His face looks like Darrin's, but hair is definitely yours! . . . at least that's how his Fantastic Aunt Donna sees it (I prefer "Fantastic Aunt" in lieu of "Great Aunt"- - sounds younger and more exciting, don't ya think???) Love to you all!! Enjoy every second!!!!! Love, Aunt Donna (aka FAD)

    ReplyDelete