Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Tomorrow is a Big Day

Well, tomorrow is a big day for me. After 17 years with my company, tomorrow is my last day. When I started as a teller supervisor in 2001, before marriage and kids, I never could have imagined where it would lead. After a couple years in that position, I got to put my degree to use in the Marketing department, which would become a department of 7 over the years to come, and the best team ever.


We learned and accomplished so much, while having a lot of fun.


 
My boss always did a great job of celebrating our company anniversaries.


I think this was my 10 year anniversary. I owe so much to this boss and friend. She taught me how to manage people by emulating it in front of me. We were a great team b/c of her and she has 'raised' all of us to just know what to do in order to be productive and respected in the workplace.


There have been many headshots over the years.



I swear my hair was brown and not red. I don't know what happened here, but it didn't last long :)


Our department was known for the Party Mix. We always made it for meetings and training sessions. It has regular Chex mix, bold Chex mix, honey roasted peanuts, peanut M&Ms, white Kit Kats, Honey BBQ corn twists, mini Reese cups, white puffed corn, and Whoopers. You can add a lot of things, but that's my favorite combo.


In 2014, our company was acquired. That day is memorable, b/c my Time Hop says, "Sometimes you just have to eat ice cream for dinner". That day started a couple years of change and uncertainty.


All but two from our Marketing department left. My work BF, Angie, and I landed in a retail role each managing a group of branches and branch managers. This is my group and I love them dearly. 


I've been in this role for two years and it's been a wild ride. I have learned so much and I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. I could not have asked for a better group. They work hard, play hard. They are good people and I consider them all friends.


So why am I leaving? I was approached about a marketing director position at a smaller community bank. I just don't think I can keep the pace of my current job up for much longer. I work with 11 offices and the closest office is 45 minutes away. I am on the road a lot and I feel like I'm always flying by the seat of my pants. In order to do this job well, you have to stay on the go and push yourself. Even when I'm not working, my mind is thinking about work. The calls, emails, and texts never stop, and I DON'T MIND THEM ONE BIT, but I just think it's not about me right now. I only get these years with my kids one time. I need more mental capacity available for them.


My transition to this role has given me new friendships that I will take with me.


It really has been fun, very challenging, but so fun at times.


Over the last two years, I worked closely with the man that hired me in 2001. He has become a great mentor and friend. He retired two weeks ago, making this move a little more doable for me.


 
Sadly, this is the only picture that I could come up with of Angie and me (she is second from the left). We stayed by choice and circumstance and I am so glad. Our bond is strong. Leaving her behind is the hardest, but I know we will keep in touch. Thankfully her office is two hours away so I don't have to physically say goodbye to her tomorrow. I will miss talking on the phone 100x a day and traveling with her.
 
 
I don't remember what it is like to give a company your all during the day, but then be able to go home and not think about it until the next day, but I'm looking forward to remembering. I do remember that is how I felt for the 15 years I spent in marketing. Our family's schedule and busyness has been on my heart for a while. I believe God gave me my 15 years of marketing experience and then allowed me to manage retail for the last two years for such a time as this. He doesn't overlook the details, and a major detail for me was overcoming my fear of public speaking in my current role. That has always been a hang up for me and now it is not. This day is bittersweet, but I leave with nothing but love for my co-workers and this company. I'm ready for the next chapter.

No comments:

Post a Comment