Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Lyme Update

It's been a while since I wrote a Lyme update. I had an appointment with my Lyme doctor a couple weeks ago.  I typically see him in person once a year and then have phone appointments every 2-4 months depending on how I'm feeling. His office is three hours away, so phone appointments work better for me.  They were a little weird at first, but I've gotten used to them.  He's been treating me since November of 2010.  A selfie with Dr. Bernui...


My appointments with Dr. Bernui used to be overwhelming b/c I felt so bad and had so many issues that I didn't know where to start or how to describe everything.  Everything from headaches, night sweats, insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, neck stiffness, joint pain, eye infections, irritability, and the list went on and on. At this appointment, my biggest issues were irritated eyes, muscle soreness, and still a few random headaches. The goal is to be asymptomatic for two months.  I never thought that goal would be within reach, but it is! We adjusted my treatment plan as we do after every appointment, and he decided that I needed to do the 28 day detox that I did at the beginning of treatment and again in 2012.  Wah, wah.  Worst news ever, but I knew he was right. It just might be the push I need to get rid of all symptoms.

I'm currently on day 16.  The third time around has definitely been easier than the first two.  I feel good, other than being a little weak.  I'm in a two week stretch where I can't have chicken.  I can have certain fish, but I detest fish.  My body is starting to adjust, but the first few days as a vegetarian were rough.  I wish I could choke down some fish, but I really, really do not like it. The smell alone makes me gag.  This was my dinner tonight, a plain sweet potato, steamed broccoli, and meal replacement drink. Yummy, right?


Everyone always talks about how good they feel when they detox and how their cravings disappear....well, I am not one of those people. I will admit that I have felt better the last few days, but my cravings are still very much alive.  I am dying for something sweet. Top of the list would be brownie batter. I do not plan to continue to eat like this after the detox, but I am considering staying 100% gluten free. I can tell for sure that cutting out gluten has made a difference.  Darrin has been gluten free for over a month, so it will help if both of us are anyway. He's on a strict, healthy diet & he's rocking it.  Side note, the biggest benefit to this detox is how my skin has improved. I've been working hard lately to correct some sun damage and prevent anymore from happening. Eating clean has made the most noticeable difference. That is a big motivator for me.

I'm so thankful for the progress I've made over the last five years. It's been a long, tedious road that has cost us a fortune. I still spend thousands each year on supplements, blood work, prescriptions, and appointments.  85% of my treatment is not covered by insurance. I'm so thankful that Darrin is supportive and never complains about the money we spend.  The thing about autoimmune diseases is you can always relapse.  You have to stay with it.  It takes a lot of planning and organization, but it so worth it.


There's no doubt for me that sticking with this treatment was the right thing to do. I've wanted to give up many times along the way b/c I didn't see progress or I wanted an easier way. I've learned there are no quick fixes regarding health. As Dr. Bernui says, I didn't get sick overnight and I won't get better overnight either. I have much gratitude for my health now. I can still tell when symptoms are slowing me down, but no one else can, and they don't hold me back anymore. So thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment