Sunday, July 20, 2014

Weekend Project

I'm not sure I can remember a weekend where we worked harder...maybe when we moved in our house.  We are so exhausted and we can't stop talking about how tired & sore we are.  So, here's what we did.  A couple of weeks ago, a friend randomly FB messaged me and asked if we wanted to sell Miles' water slide.  This one...

My reply was, "I don't, but Darrin does."  As much as I really loved the slide, Darrin really didn't like it.  It was kind of a pain to put up and then dry out after Miles was finished with it, which was usually like 10 minutes.  We told Miles that if he sold it, he could have a tree house, a new ride on toy, or new golf clubs.  I'm not sure if that's good parenting or not, but it was his slide, so it makes sense that he was able to get something else if we got rid of it.  I wanted whatever we replaced the slide with to be an outside toy.  He picked the tree house.  That's what we wanted too. 

Darrin & I did some research and designed a plan after looking at several tree houses on Pinterest.  We wanted it to be sturdy, simple, and be able to add onto it in the future.  We did some measurements and laid out a rough plan on Thursday night. 

Darrin and his dad set the posts in concrete on Friday.  Then, we started working on the floor on Saturday morning.  Darrin & his dad did most of the work on Saturday.  Darrin did an excellent job designing it & they both did a great job building it.  I worked in the house most of the morning and then helped them outside for the rest of the day.

Granny helped rake the yard and occupy Miles some too.  He was so happy to have Granny & Pa here all day.  He was waiting for them to arrive bright & early.  We enjoyed spending time with them too.  We just don't get to do that very often. 

We starting getting a little delirious towards the end of the day.  We didn't wrap things up until 9pm.  We were having to use a flash light to make cuts and to drill.  I'm sure our neighbors were thrilled with us.

Darrin, Miles and I worked again today...

...until it was finished.  As soon as everything was cleaned up, we all went inside and took showers.  Miles has been outside with us for the last two days.  He wasn't even in the mood to play with it when we were done.  I couldn't blame him.  

After dinner, he caught his second wind and played in it for a while with the neighbors.  

It was a lot of work, especially for just 3 days, but I think he's going to have lots of fun in it.  He loves to be outside and we'll do whatever we can to foster that.  I'll be glad to go to work tomorrow for a break! 

No comments:

Post a Comment