Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

How We Got Here

When I start reading a new blog, sometimes it can be hard to figure out who the people are & what their story is.  I was asked to write an article for I Heart UTM Volleyball, which is a non-profit organization that raises money for Darrin's team.  Back in November, when I was originally asked to write the article, I vaguely remember that it was supposed to be about the life of a coach's wife.  I veered off topic and it ended up being a history lesson on the McClures.  So...I thought it might be fitting (and easy) to post on here in case there are any readers that don't really know us.  I know there are at least a few of you out there :) 


Meet the McClures, by Jennifer McClure
A few things you may not know about the McClures….

How it all began…

 
Darrin & I met working together at Goodyear Tire.  We were both managers in the same department.  When we started dating, our boss called us in the office and jokingly said, “Just don’t get married because then one of you will have to leave.”  We were married five months later and I gladly left. From our first date to wedding date was only five months.  We were married in 2001, on my 25th birthday.

Where I work…


Although I like to consider myself the 2nd assistant coach, I do happen to have this little gig on the side, called a full time job.  When I left Goodyear Tire, I went to work at First State Bank, where I still am today.  I work as the Marketing Manager.  Even though my company is headquartered in Union City, TN, we have offices all the way from Memphis to Knoxville.  My job keeps me very busy. 

Our love for UTM…
 

Darrin and I are both UT Martin graduates.  At the advice of my mom, and against my will, I visited the campus on our way home from visiting Murray State.  I fell in love with the campus and did not visit anywhere else.  UTM was the 17th, and last, school I visited. I came to Martin in the fall of ’95 and have never left.   I was a sorority girl, student ambassador, and even a UTM cheerleader.  After Darrin & I married, I also completed my MBA at UTM.
 
Darrin went to UTM after we got married.  He was the typical non-traditional student that kept the entire class late by asking questions, emailed his professors way too much, and blew the curve for everyone on tests. During this time, he got involved with UTM volleyball as the student assistant.  We are forever indebted to Robb Beam for the introduction.  Interestingly enough, I was against Darrin taking the job. 

Living with Coach…


Ahhh, what it’s like to live with Darrin…. Surprisingly, Darrin does a really good job of not bringing work home.  Don’t get me wrong, we talk about volleyball A LOT….but I like it that way.  Winning is great, but life at home is okay during the losses too.  Random tidbit…I never stay with Darrin on the road.  His first season, I traveled with the team to Chicago & stayed in his room.  I learned my lesson and have never done that again!  He has work to do and I prefer to stay out of the way.  On road trips, I drive my own car and always have my room.  The one concession is, during the conference tournament, I have my own room until they lose.

Then, there was Miles…


Darrin & I were married almost 8 years before Miles was born.  He was born in the middle of preseason.  We actually came home from the hospital on a Sunday and Darrin left for the first preseason tournament on Thursday.  I managed to hold the tears in until he got out the door.  Needless to say, there were a lot of cell phone pictures sent that year.  Miles is shy, cautious, and a little OCD, like me.  He is talkative, witty, and affectionate, like Darrin.  He says he wants to be a contractor when he grows up.  As of now, he says that he does not want to play any sports because he “doesn’t want to talk to the coach”.  I guess maybe he’s been around some mean coaches???

We live for volleyball season in our house.  Darrin’s job, as well as the job of a coach’s wife, is very stressful, but we love it.  We love the girls, their families, the game, Martin, and everything else.  We are so fortunate to live this life.    

















No comments:

Post a Comment