Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Kitchen Redo

Darrin & I have lived in our house for almost four years. Until I painted Miles' room several months ago, the only thing that we had done to the house in four years was change one light fixture in the kitchen and put down hardwood in the living room. That tells you how bad that one light fixture must have been to be completely singled out like that.

I pretty much liked the colors that were already in house and have lived with the window treatments b/c new ones are expensive and I don't really know where to get started with that. The one room that I have always wanted to change is the kitchen. I've never cared for the nursery yellow color & lack of any decoration whatsoever. Not sure why it took four year to buy a can of paint, but I finally decided to.

I see all these fabulous kitchen remodels on TV....that's not really what I was going for. I just wanted a better color on the wall and a slightly decorated look. I didn't want to spend a fortune b/c I'm not sure how long we'll be in this house. As I've mentioned before, we like to move. The fact that we've lived here for four years is nothing short of a miracle. And, if I was being completely honest I would tell you that we looked a house last week and are looking at another one tomorrow. So....didn't want to invest much, but did want to lose the baby yellow.

My mom came up over President's weekend to help. She's my partner in crime when it comes to stuff like this. For that, Darrin is extremely grateful.

I realized a couples hours after we got started that I forgot to take before pictures. Major no, no. I think you'll still be able to catch my drift.

Before...




After...

I ordered this spice rack on Amazon & bought the jars at Bed, Bath & Beyond. This is one of my favorite things about the redo...

It's hard to see but those are knives hanging on a magnetic strip. Also purchased from Bed, Bath & Beyond...

I never knew what to put over the sink....such an awkward space. Now we have a chalkboard where I love to leave "Honey, please do lists" for Darrin. You can't see but that is exactly what is on there now...


I bought the curtains on Etsy & I am in love. Also hard to see but they are a Chevron pattern...

I bought this frame last week. The colors coordinate & it seemed fitting b/c Miles is always saying "we are a family"....

I am very pleased with it. We spend a lot of time in our kitchen. We cook almost every night & I also like to bake. Simple changes, but the new kitchen makes me very happy.

1 comment: