Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Volleyball Season

Volleyball season has come to an end. The year started with UTM being ranked preseason 10th, out of 11 teams. We had much higher expectations, and the season did not disappoint. The Skyhawk's conference record was 12-7 earning them 3rd seed in the tournament. This is the most conference wins for UTM since 2002. The girls earned so many individual awards during the season including over 10 player of the week awards, two 1st team OVC, one OVC newcomer team, and the Defensive player of the year. It was an exciting year.

My mom, Miles, and I traveled to Morehead, Kentucky last Thursday for the first round. Before the game, Darrin was awarded OVC Coach of the Year. I am so proud of him for all his hard work. His efforts over the last four years are paying off. And, I know there is so much more in store for this program and his coaching career. So very, very proud.



Two of the Skyhawk's biggest fans...



Even though I'm smiling, this was right before the game and there are no words for how nervous I was.


Warm ups...



Game time. We played Jacksonville State. I didn't take any pictures during the game b/c gym pictures never turn out for me and I really just wanted to watch the game. Before the game started, I just kept thinking that we had to win the game b/c it would be awful to go home in the first round. Then, we quickly lost the first two sets and were down in the third when my mindset changed to....we can't go home in 3 sets, on the first day. Thankfully our team just likes to keep it entertaining and they came back to win it 15-12 in the 5th set. Whew.



Many thanks to my mom for doing whatever it took to entertain Miles so I could watch the game.




On Friday, we had the whole day to kill since our game didn't start until 4:30pm. My mom went to college at Morehead, so we were both interested to drive around the campus. She showed me several of the buildings she lived in, and we went into the student center. It was fun to see the campus.





My mom and dad got married while attending Morehead. This was brand new married housing. The rent was $65 a month.






Finally it was game time against Tennessee State. We beat them in 4 sets. The girls did a great job. I think it was the best they played all year.






Beating Tennessee State put us in the championship game against Morehead, which wasn't until 6pm. That meant we had a lot of time to waste. So, we drove an hour to Lexington, Kentucky to shop. It was the closest city with some time wasting options. Unfortunately Miles was completely uncooperative. We basically drove to Lexington to get gas, eat Chickfila and return a Red Box movie.....then we drove back to Morehead. Regardless we were able to waste some time.


After a long day of waiting, it was finally game time. Morehead was the #1 seed, and had a regular conference record of 19-1. Needless to say, they were good. They beat us in 3 sets. It's never fun to finish 2nd, but it was a great season & the girls accomplished so much. I have no doubt that the future holds big things for UTM Volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment