Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

The Children's Museum of Memphis

Last year during recruiting season, Miles was too little to go anywhere or do anything. By the end of the season, I was bored out of my mind & probably not much fun to live with. This year I decided to plan some fun things to do with Miles to stay busy while Darrin's gone. I asked my Facebook friends for some ideas that were age appropriate for Miles in West TN and also in Nashville, since my mom lives there. My FB & blog friend, Holly, suggested the Children's Museum of Memphis, or CMOM.

Darrin was out of town over the weekend. So, my mom came up and we took the little man to the museum. Between the interstate traffic and a few random food & drink stops, it took us four hours to get there. We were at a crawl on the interstate two different times. Miles did well considering the circumstances. I was about to go out of my mind so I really couldn't blame him.

Before we go any further....I forgot my camera. *sigh* My phone takes great pictures outside, but not inside. The pictures I took are not good, but they are better than nothing, slightly.

The museum was cute. I am not a germ-a-phob but this tested my nerves a little. Between the crawling on everything, playing with toys, trying on costumes, hats, etc, it was a little germy. That would be my only critique. If you have germ issues, I wouldn't advise a visit. Aside from that, it was something fun & different to do.

This little stage has all sorts of costumes for the kids to put on. The green background is like a weatherman's background, in that is actually shows the kids on a tv with different scenes. When Miles was up there the tv had a farm scene on it. He didn't get that, but he had fun in his outfit. There was an older kid on stage with a creepy black outfit on. Miles was a little unsure of him, borderline scared. I think that is the first time I've seen him show fear. It kind of made me sad to know that he has those feelings now.

He's looking at the creepy boy here....

The grocery store was the cutest part. The kids shop with their little buggies. The bigger kids can actually check out by scanning their items at the register.

He really liked the produce section...


He was equally fond of the meat/seafood section. He played with those fish for quite a while. Too cute.

We climbed on a firetruck and I tried to get him to put on a jacket, but he just wanted the dog....

The dentist room was a love/hate situation. He loved sitting in the mouth brushing the teeth. At one point, he attempted to brush his own teeth....eeewww. Thankfully my mom was on it & stopped him.

He did not love the character in the chair. He never did warm up to him despite my efforts to help him overcome his fear.

A little bit of coloring....all with his left hand of course.

This school bus was in a section for little kids. It was a very cute and age appropriate area. It had a little tree house with different places to climb & run. It also had a house with baby dolls and kitchen toys. He liked all the fake food in the kitchen area.

In the car room...

The hub caps parts came off. The museum creators have thought of everything. There are tons of things to see & learn. Very hands on.

This was in the last room. It was a Wizard of Oz exhibit. It was boring and over his head. My mom and I were somewhat over it at this point and ready to go. Miles decided he needed to pick up all these eggs and put them away in the baskets. Right when he finished a girl came over and started putting them in the thing to Miles' right. It has holes and the eggs fall down, kind of like Plinko on the Price is Right. He watched her....she walked off...and went back to cleaning up. We waited for him to finish again and then quickly ushered him out of the room before the scenario happened for a third time.

We left and did a little shopping. First up was the Pottery Barn outlet. I got four Christmas stockings for $8.61! Miles was kicked back while we shopped...sleepy.

We made a few other stops and then decided to head back to Martin. We encountered more traffic on the way back. It was a very long day but fun memories were made. It definitely distracted us from Darrin being gone, which was the immediate goal. I like to get Miles out of the house and go new places. It's exhausting, but fun.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. I can't wait to take Stella. I'm sure it will be soon. We've put a few things off, too. Now that she's walking well, I'm ready to try some stuff.

    And thanks for the shout out. :)

    ReplyDelete