Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Like Mother, Like Son


Before Miles was even thought of, when Darrin & I would talk about kids, he would always say that he hoped our kids had my eyes, and I would say that I hoped they had his skin. Darrin has great skin and great coloring. My skin is splotchy, sensitive, and I'm allergic to everything. It seems that Miles may have gotten my skin and allergy issues. He's has already been to the dermatologist twice in his little life. He was diagnosed with Dermatitis, and we were told that he had sensitive skin, but would hopefully grow out of it.

I just blogged about starting him on milk, and mentioned that he had a cold. Turns out that he is allergic to milk :( On Saturday, after being on milk for a solid week, his congestion was getting bad and he had red, raised bumps all over his face. He's had something similar when he was sick before so we just thought it was all related. We almost took him to the doctor b/c the spots on his face were spreading. We also contemplated putting him back on formula until his 1 year appointment with the pediatrician, but I hated to switch him back and forth. It's hard on his little stomach.

So, I decided to do a little research. I'm so glad I did. I read about milk allergies and it was exactly what he was dealing with. We switched to soy milk and within one bottle all the spots on his face were gone. How quickly he improved was amazing. It made it very obvious that a milk allergy is what we were dealing with. We tried some cheese this morning....he loves cheese. We needed to see just how bad this allergy was. The spots and snotty nose came right back.

I'm hoping he will grow out of it, but from what I'm reading, it's not promising that he will. I hate living with allergies, especially food allergies. I really didn't want this for him. Maybe since he will have them from birth, he will never know any different. If you have any experience with milk allergies, I would love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment