Pages

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Home Remodeling

We've been involved in a little home remodeling project. Darrin & I operate very spur of the moment when it comes to big (expensive) purchases. We've bought computers and couches when we weren't in the market for them at all. So, a couple weeks ago, I decided we needed hardwood floors in our living room and hallway. Our carpet is yucky and now that Miles is crawling I can't stand the thought of him all over that nasty carpet. I either called or texted Darrin and he agreed without question. It was like, of course we need hardwood floors....why haven't you taken care of this before now? Like we're buying toothpaste.

We already had hardwood in the foyer and dining room/Miles' playroom. After further research and measuring, the existing hardwood would have to be ripped up b/c it wasn't going with, or against, the floor joists, whichever way it's supposed to go. That didn't change our minds. So, the plan was to rip up the existing hardwood and replace it, going the correct direction.

The living room before...

And after...

The foyer...

We are exhausted from having the house torn apart for the last 4 days. Darrin & his Dad moved the furniture, and tore up the carpet and hardwood to save a little money. They had to do it on Saturday since Sunday was Mother's Day. That meant no living room or playroom all weekend. And, most importantly no TV b/c our main satellite receiver is in the living room and it controls the rest of the TVs. If you know me very well you know that I love watching TV. It was painful. We had to hook it back up on Sunday night to watch the Amazing Race finale.

The men came to get started on Monday. The room was cleared out and ready for them to start laying the floor so how long could it take? Well, since you asked, it took all day Monday and from 8:30 this morning until 8:45pm. OMG. Talk about frustrating. They wanted to quit for the day around 6 something and Darrin said no. I wasn't around for that conversation (thank goodness) but I am so thankful he stood his ground. I don't function well with a messy house that is out of sorts.

Since the house was torn apart this weekend, we spent time in the garage. Random, I know, but it actually felt good out there. It forced me to clean and organize my garage too.

So glad this job is finished. I told Darrin to promise me that he'll say no if I ever talk about buying a house that needs much work. This is not my (our) thing.

1 comment: