Pages

Monday, February 25, 2019

Basketball

Miles' basketball season ended on Saturday. This was his second year to play Upward.


He had the same coaches, Coach Jason and Coach Josh. It was also his second year to play with Mason and Bennett. I love that he gets to play with some different friends. He has great baseball teammates and great basketball teammates.


He loved having his grandparents watch him at a couple games. It's a joy to watch him play basketball b/c he has a confidence about him. He just seems comfortable with a basketball in his hand.


He got a lot better at free throws and jump shots this season.


Ball handling is his favorite. He is right handed, but eats with his left hand. We somehow think this makes him more comfortable dribbling with his left hand, b/c it seems to be pretty natural for him.



I could not have been more pleased with the coaches again this year. They handled themselves with class during every game and practice, even when others did not.


The coaches worked hard to teach them and I could tell an improvement in every kid. It's tough when you have all different levels of athleticism and effort, but they did a really job to meet every kid where they were.



Earlier in the season when I took Miles to watch his baseball teammates play on their travel basketball team, I was concerned that he would question why he wasn't playing with them. Truth be told, I just couldn't handle two travel sports when Darrin travels so much.


I also thought it would be good to play with different friends and coaches just for a change of scenery. After watching his friends play, he said on the way home that he wanted to play with them next year. Next year is a long way off, so I told him we would look into it.


On the way home after his last game, he said he wanted to play for Coach Jason again next year. He said that he felt like his Upward league was pretty competitive too and he liked playing there. It really doesn't matter to me where he plays, but I was happy to hear him say that. I thought it was a wise thought process and I was glad to hear him feel satisfied with his season and what they had accomplished. 


His feelings and the season in general were definitely wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment