Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

They Don't Get This From Me

I actually have seven pictures to share tonight! Both my boys like to read. Sadly, they most definitely did not get that from me. If I have time to read, I have time to do anything else...mainly watch TV or sleep. I did go on a girls trip one time and thoroughly enjoyed reading on the beach. So maybe I do like to read when I have nothing else to do. When I'm at home, I can't sit still long enough to read. Darrin likes to read books related to coaching or self help, but doesn't read for fun. Of the two of us, he's more of a reader than me. 

Miles enjoys reading a lot. I'm not sure if he loves it, but he likes it. He goes in spurts and doesn't love just any book.


His favorites are Dog Man, I Survived, and Magic Treehouse. He also likes the 13 Story Treehouse series, Captain Underpants, and Bad Guys.



Miles' absolute favorite is Dog Man. There are 5 so far and he read all of them in record time. They are very easy reads, but he literally reads them in a couple hours. The next one comes out at Christmas and Marmee has already pre-ordered it for him.



Carson loves books right now. He's finally to the point where he enjoys some longer books rather than short board books. He brings books to Miles and wants him to read them. Most of the time Miles obliges.

 

This cry face has nothing to do with the book. Just a reminder that Carson is two, y'all.


Carson's favorites right now are Corduroy, Corduroy's Halloween Party, Curious George, and the Itsy Bitsy School Bus. My favorites to read to Carson are Llama Llama (Miles never liked them???), Little Excavator, and I Love You All the Time. The last one is a random book that my mom picked up somewhere and I love it. It has the sweetest message. I tried to include a link, but blogger went nuts. It's by Jessica Elin Hirschman.


Before bedtime, Carson gets two books. We read them in a recliner in his room. After the first book, I remind him that he gets one more book and then it's time to go night night...and then he repeats "night night". For this reason he might stay in a crib until he's ten and the recliner will probably stay in there too. 


Miles typically gets 15 minutes of reading time in his bed. When we tuck him in, he sets a timer on his Echo Dot. When the timer goes off, he turns off his light and goes to sleep. His reading time is much less consistent b/c if baseball practice runs late or he's watching something on TV with us, he might just got straight to sleep. He reads a lot at school when he finishes his work early so I don't worry about it. 

I have a theory that people who read a lot are better test takers. I also think that being able to read quickly and comprehend is a great life skill. I'm so hoping that my boys continue to love books.

No comments:

Post a Comment