Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

First Day of School Eve

I cannot believe the first day of school is tomorrow. We start early around here. This summer went by with record speed. I guess when you play baseball every weekend for half the summer that just happens. It was a very good summer. Usually I'm ready for fall, football, school, a routine...but I have to say I'm not ready. We have had so much fun playing outside at home all summer long. I know daylight savings time will be here before we know it and I'm sure not ready for that. But, ready or not, 3rd grade is here. Miles' school moved to a brand new building this year and they changed the name from Medina Elementary to South Gibson County Elementary. We went last week for orientation.


All summer, he has been saying that he does not like school and doesn't want to go back. We (he and I) did not have a good 2nd grade year. He did not 'get' his teacher. There were some incidents that left me scratching my head, but that's over and we are ready for a new year. After seeing his new room, he is finally ready to go back.


He has two teachers this year, which I think will be a good thing for him. He has Ms. Carla Stanfield for Reading & Language and Ms. Jennifer Hardison for Math & Science. They both seemed nice as they always do on the open house night :)


He's really only there for P.E., but details...


He was excited to explore the new library too. He had to find the section with the Magic Treehouse books.


I've never been an over-involved parent when it comes to school. I struggle to check the planner regularly and I don't volunteer in the classroom. He makes it easy b/c he just does what he is supposed to do. After all, I do have a little gig called a j-o-b that keeps me very busy. But, I'm here to say that I'm turning over a new leaf. 3rd grade is going to be the year that I get it together. My motives are selfish.....whatever it takes for Miles to have a better year. Our 'first day of school' teacher gifts are packed in his bag and ready to go. I know that sounds terrible, but if you can't beat them, join them! I affectionately call our school a private, public school b/c we are fortunate to live in a town that has an exceptionally high parent involvement rate. If I can help him get off to a better year and avoid some frustration then that's what we are going to do. I'll never take the responsibility off of him completely, I just hope to pave the way for a productive & happy year.

No comments:

Post a Comment