Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Change of Plans

This year, the plan was to spend Thanksgiving with my side of the family, and Christmas with Darrin's side of the family.  All of our stuff was packed and ready to leave for my mom's house as soon as I got off work at 5pm on Wednesday.  I actually started packing stuff on Sunday so that I wouldn't be so stressed on Tuesday night, like I usually am.

Darrin took Miles to get his hair cut on Wednesday at 2:30pm and then called to report that it did not go well.  Apparently Miles had a major meltdown.  He said his neck hurt....he didn't like the cape....he didn't like the way the hair was falling on his neck....etc.  Darrin said it was unlike any other fit he's ever thrown.  The hair cut did not happen and they went home.  We chalked it up to him still not feeling 100%.  When Darrin got home, he checked his fever and it was back.  He'd been fever free since Monday so we thought we were in the clear.  After a call to my mom, we all decided it would be best for Miles (and everyone else) if we stayed home.

I think the final decision took place between 4-5pm.  I was at Walmart by 7pm shopping for our Thanksgiving dinner.  Since it was just going to be the 3 of us, the menu was somewhat abbreviated: turkey, stuffing, green beans, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, caramel pie & peanut butter & chocolate bars. This was our first Thanksgiving to prepare all by ourselves.  I have to say, we actually pulled it off quite well.  My main goal was to make the stuffing like my mom's, but when you shop at 7pm, on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, in a small town, you can't find exactly what you need.  We made it work, and everything was really good.

We made the food, ate, cleaned up, and were all laying on the couch by noon.  Success!  We missed seeing family, but made the most of our little family time.

Miles wanted to help with Thanksgiving dinner...


Our yummy food...


He didn't eat a single bite....not b/c he didn't like it...just a true sign that he was sick.  He still hasn't eaten a solid meal since last weekend.


Hope your Thanksgiving was happy.  Ours was different, but good nonetheless.  It's nice to know that we can make the most of a situation even when plans change at the very last minute.  This is where we have spent the majority of the last four days...in our living room. 


Lots of quality family time....relaxing, playing Candy Land, playing Wheel of Fortune on the XBOX, watching movies, watching football, napping....but back to reality tomorrow.  I will be so sad to leave these guys tomorrow.  I'm already looking forward to dinner & Monday Night Football with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment