Pages

Monday, August 17, 2020

First Day of School

Miles was a little nervous this morning, but mostly excited. He always gets nervous about the unknown. Sometimes it can consume him, but he did really well this year especially considering it was the first year of middle school and minus an in person open house where you learn about all the things.


Maybe it's the long break, but there seems to be more joy surrounding the first day of school, from the students and teachers. Everyone seems open to making the best of a strange year. 


Carson was so excited to take Miles to school that he got in Darrin's truck and buckled up by himself without telling anyone. They got to school super early.


I had to laugh at this picture that Miles' teacher posted. Everyone has their mask on except Miles. He hasn't complained about wearing a mask. I think he just forgot. Tonight, I told him that I was glad he had a good day and he said that he had a GREAT day! He rode the bus home for the first time ever. We had some after school challenges and needed the bus as an option on the days we can't pick him up. He's always wanted to ride the bus. I'll spare the details, but it was a very long process and it took him an hour and 40 minutes to get home (not all on the bus). Just when I thought the bus would not be a viable option, he said it was the best part of his day and that his bus driver was so nice. I don't know how long the newness will last, but hopefully he will continue to enjoy it. The bus driver went the extra mile to drop him closer to our driveway and I am a very grateful mom. She is getting a handwritten thank you note tomorrow!


Carson started the first of two years of Pre-K at his daycare last Monday. Since he is a July birthday, we decided at birth to hold him back. Miles started two weeks before he turned six and it has worked well. So, Carson is in the final room at his daycare, but he will be there for two full years. 


He had to separate from all his best buddies, which was a concern for me. He has handled it just fine! He still gets to play with those friends on the playground and in the gym, so I'm sure that helps. He still talks about them as if he is with them all day when in reality he only sees them for short periods of time. He's only been in there for a week and he already seems older. While I'm sad that he's not with his good friends, I am glad that he will get to learn new things from the bigger kids. He's a pretty smart kid and I'm excited to see what he can learn.

I am very optimistic that both boys are going to have a great year. Amid the pandemic and so many awkward changes, all signs point to great things ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment