Pages

Friday, August 21, 2020

Happy Birthday, Miles!

Miles turned 11 today! He wanted to open his presents before school. He got a new water bottle for school since they replaced all the water fountains with refill stations. He also got a new Cubs wallet with $25 in it, a Playstation gift card so he could download Minecraft on his PS4, and some candy. 


The gift selection seemed a little blah to me, but he seemed to really like and appreciate them. We are planning to have a party at a video game cafe soon and he thought that was his present. He was pleasantly surprised to figure out last night that he still got a few gifts today.


Darrin was telling Carson that Miles made him a dad. 


I think he had a pretty uneventful day at school. I asked his teacher what the protocol was for birthdays in middle school. I thought for sure they wouldn't do anything, but his teachers still communicate like they are in elementary school, so I wasn't sure. She said it was up to me. I asked Miles and he said he didn't want to do anything. I think it's appropriate to stop in middle school, so that was fine with me. They did announce his name over the intercom during morning announcements. Tonight, he had a friend over to play video games for a few hours.


We ordered pizza and had dessert. I really wanted to keep him all to ourselves tonight, but I was sure this is what he preferred.



I made Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie with ice cream for his birthday dessert. It's very rich, but everyone loved it. 



The night ended with a goodnight hug.

What a great kid! I'm not sure I've ever met a more mature 11 year old. It's his greatest strength, but causes him to be wound so tightly. His mind is a heavy load to bear at times. I wish I could tell him to relax and enjoy his days, but because he is just like me, I know that telling him that at this age is pointless. Instead, we point him to Jesus and remind him that He is the one that we tell our problems to, big and small. He works out the details and plans our future. At 11, he loves video games, fishing, baseball, hanging out with his friends, school, watching YouTube...basically all the things that a pre-teen boy likes! Happy birthday, Miles! We can't get enough of these days with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment