Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

Update...

I've been having contractions for 2-3 weeks, but nothing consistent. On Tuesday, I felt things starting to change. All day at work by back was really hurting and I was having more intense contractions than I'd been having. So, I went home took a bath and then just rested for the night.

When I got to work on Wednesday I started having contractions every 4-6 minutes, which is obviously too many for 34 weeks. I decided to time them until noon and then possibly call the doctor.....didn't want to overreact. At 12:30, I decided to call b/c they weren't slowing down. He was out to lunch so the nurse called back around 1:30 and decided I should come in.

I went home to get Darrin, we packed a few things just in case, and headed to the doctor. By the time we got there, it seemed like the contractions might have slowed down a little and I already was feeling like maybe I shouldn't have called. My doctor checked me and I had not dilated, but he was still concerned about the number of contractions so he sent me to the hospital to be monitored for a while. He felt very positive about everything.

We went to the hospital and I was hooked up around 4:30. Immediately the contractions starting coming. I was having one every 2-3 minutes. Within a half hour the nurse gave me a shot to try to stop them.....which instantly worked. No contractions.....for about an hour. Then, they started again. So, another shot. At that point, my doctor said I had "bought myself an overnight stay". They started me on a pill to stop the contractions. He wanted to observe how the pill worked during the night.

It worked, and the next morning we were sent home with a prescription for the next 12 days. That will get me to 36 weeks. At that point, he's comfortable with me delivering. After stopping the medicine it may take a while, you never know.

So, I'm home on bed rest until the baby comes. I'm already bored, but following orders b/c I know it's important to get to 36 weeks. The best part of my hospital stay......Ambien. I haven't sleep that good in weeks!

2 comments:

  1. WoW! I bet that was a wild ride. I will never forget going in for an appt like that (horrible low back pain) thinking I was making a big deal, only to find out I was in active labor and dialated to 4cm. The boys came 7 weeks early.

    Read lots of books and catch up on any shows while you have a chance. Oh, and BLOG more. I love reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm still thinking girl. I had changed my mind at the shower, but I'm back to girl again!

    ReplyDelete