Pages

Sunday, June 30, 2019

12 Things from Vacation

I thought I'd share twelve random things from vacation today and then I'll share ton of pics tomorrow. We went to Gulf Shores b/c Miles' team was playing in a World Series, which just means that teams from all over play in a week long tournament. 

1) We set out last Sunday evening with the plan to drive as far as we could. At one point, everyone but Darrin was crying b/c Carson was so upset and unmanageable. We ended up stopping around halfway in Meridian, MS. We stayed in a Tru hotel by Hilton. It was so nice and affordable. We were all beyond impressed. I will try to stay in them every chance I get. 


2) These boys have played together for 3 years now. They are great friends and it's fun to see the way they hang out with one group for a little while and then another. Sometimes they fight like brothers. Miles has three friends on the team that he says are his best friends (Will, Nate, and Lane) but he enjoys everyone on the team very much.


3) Our best meal of the trip was a shrimp boil that included 3lbs of shrimp from a place called Blalock's. A friend from work recommend it and I'm so glad. Miles ate at least a pound himself. We called in the morning to place our order and then picked it up at dinner time and brought it back to the condo. We started ordering take out on vacation when Carson was a baby rather than waiting forever at a restaurant. I don't think we'll ever go back.


4) I wondered how baseball at the beach would go, but it was surprisingly doable even with Carson. It wasn't too hot sitting under a tent. They played 6 games total. I love watching baseball, but I have to say that I got my fill. I washed all the uniforms today and put them up until fall and it feels really good to know that we have a break.


5) We did not eat fancy meals. In fact, a lot of meals were cereal. That's a treat for the boys b/c I don't buy it at home. We would eat it all in record time and it's just too much sugar. 


6) I enjoyed hanging out with my friends. I knew I wouldn't be able relax much b/c of Carson, but I just took the opportunities as they came. We are the only family with a toddler, so our vacation looked a little different than everyone else's. We had to go in earlier than everyone else and couldn't spend hours together eating out, but that's okay. We had fun and I don't think Miles missed anything.


7) Miles had a good week of baseball. He did a good job pitching and got several good hits. As always, he played several different positions. I noticed during the week that he seemed a little bummed on the field at times. I gathered it was b/c he wasn't pitching much. I talked him about it after the game and he said with sincerity that he felt like he could have helped his team if he were pitching. We talked about contributing wherever the coach needs you and being ready when called upon to pitch. I was actually really happy to hear that kind of confidence from him. 


8) Miles loved playing in the ocean. The waves were bigger than usual for that area and the boys loved it. He spent 75% of his time at the ocean and the rest at the pool. He loved boogie boarding and hunting for sand dollars.


9) We got a two bedroom condo. The boys slept together all week and it worked! They didn't go to bed at the same time usually but it didn't matter. The first night Carson kept saying that he wanted to sleep by himself and he wanted the door closed. Miles was dying to sleep with him and he wanted the door open. In the end, Miles won. They slept together with the door open.


10) Carson ate upwards of 50 popsicles for the week. He would often put them up on his head like this. They were $.50 and they kept him cool and occupied. There were some siblings on the trip that entertained Carson so well. They played with him and helped look after him. I would just give them a couple dollars and tell them to go get popsicles for everyone. I'd love to know what we spent for the week. Whatever it was, it was worth it.


11) The boys got new uniforms for the trip. The parents have decided that they need to be burned. We have worn them twice and both times the games ended in 'fireworks' between coaches, umps, and parents. It definitely wasn't the highlight of the trip and the uniforms might need to go :) They sure do look good though.


12) After a couple days at the beach, Carson is blonde again! He is a water baby and beach bum. He loved it all. The sun and water wore him out. There were some tough moments with him, but overall the week went better than I anticipated, especially the baseball games. We decided that he is growing up a little. That's a good thing!


Lots more pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment