Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Carson's First Day, Miles' Last Day

Yesterday was Carson's first day in his new classroom. He moved up to the three year old room. A lot of parents were sad, but I welcomed the change. He was the oldest kid in his old classroom and it's time he sees how older kids use the potty, follow directions, eat their food, etc. After we took a few things to his new room, I had to take him to the gym b/c that is where you drop them off in the morning. He was so excited until we got around ten steps from the door. He froze, sat down, and started crying. I picked him up and carried him in the door. As soon as I pointed to a friend, he wiggled out of my arms and took off running without looking back. He cried again this morning and Darrin had to eventually hand him off to a teacher and leave. It's interesting to see b/c this is the first time we've ever seen him act this way. He's usually fine with being left a school, church, grandparents, or babysitter. 


His new teacher is a friend of mine from Miles' baseball team. She sent me this picture after nap time. Apparently this is the look he gave her when she told him to get back on his mat. His first two days have been great!


Today was Miles' last day of third grade. I can't say enough how great the year has been. When I picked him up today, both his teachers told me how great he is. They said he is very intelligent and brings so much fun and challenge to the classroom. One teacher said that he asks questions that make the other students think. She complimented us on the job we have done with him so far. I wish I would have gotten pictures with both teachers, but I only managed one with Ms. Carla. When I asked Miles which teacher was his favorite, he said that he couldn't pick between then. I'd say that is a successful year with Ms. Carla and Mrs. Hardison.


While I do think that these teachers would have been fabulous regardless of my efforts, I think it's only fair to reflect on my strategy to help the school year go more smoothly. After a horrible 2nd grade year, I decided to be 'that mom' that volunteers, sends snacks, and even buys gifts. My motto was "if you can't beat them, join them" b/c we have a super involved parent group in our town. These teachers made it a pleasure to do anything for them. I told them both today that I wish I could buy them everything b/c they are both amazing. Since they both bragged on the gifts I sent this year, I thought I would share a few ideas. First, the desk organizer. This has been my standard Christmas gift every year. You can buy them at Marshalls or TJ Maxx. I fill them with fun school supplies. This is mine at home, but you get the point.


Another little gift was these earrings. I ordered them in light gold and black and gave one pair to each teacher with a note. My sister-in-law gave me the light gold for Christmas and I wear them all the time. This is a very inexpensive gift that seems like way more than it is.


Today's end of the year gift were goodr sunglasses. I ordered them both the Bosley's Basset Hound Dreams, which is the pair that I'm wearing. I also have them in orange. The colors are really fun. I bought them at a local boutique. 



I also sent random texts when Miles would tell me something nice or funny about them, and sent snacks when needed. As I said, I think these teachers would have been stellar no matter what, but you can bet that I will be using the same strategy in 4th grade. Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment